The Medical Social Worker offers the following support to patients and their families:
- Counselling support to help patients and families adjust to diagnosis and planning for the future
- Support, advice & age-related information on talking to children about the meaning of Cancer and the impact on their lives when a family member receives a diagnosis or attends for treatment.
- Practical support, information and referral regarding social welfare entitlements and benefits
- Information on a range of organisations and community services, locally and nationally i.e. Barnardos, Primary Care services, voluntary agencies.
- Referral to specialised sources of care in the community
- Bereavement support and referral to acute based services
- Financial assistance through the Irish Cancer Society & Marie Keating Foundation for travel/fuel/heating costs
- Medical Card application support
- Assessment & organising Care2Drive support services for Chemotherapy patients
Referrals to the Cancer Services Social Worker can be made by Clinical Nurse Specialist, Medical team or by self-referral. The Medical Social Worker is available for scheduled or walk-in appointments Monday to Friday 9am-5pm and can be contacted at 061 482896 or by contacting Cancer Information & Support Centre at 061 485163.