The Medical Social Worker offers the following supports to patients and their families:
- Counselling support to help patients and families adjust to diagnosis and planning for the future
- Support, advice & age related information on talking to children on the meaning of Cancer and the impact on their lives when a family member receives a diagnosis or attending for treatment.
- Practical support, information and referral regarding social welfare entitlements and benefits
- Information on a range of organisations and community services, locally and nationally i.e. Barnardos, Primary Care services, voluntary agencies.
- Referral to specialised sources of care in the community
- Bereavement support and referral to acute based services
- Financial assistance through the Irish Cancer Society & Marie Keating Foundation for travel/fuel/heating costs
- Medical Card application support
- Assessment & organising Care2Drive support services for Chemotherapy patients
Referrals to the Cancer Services Social Worker can be made by Clinical Nurse Specialist, Medical team or by self referral.
The Medical Social Worker is available for scheduled or walk in appointments Monday to Friday 9am-5pm and can be contacted on 061 482896 or by contacting Cancer Information & Support Centre 061 485163.